Livermore-Amador Genealogical Society
Murray Township Biographies, A-L, from
Wood's "History of Alameda County, California," 1883
Go to History of Murray Township
Go to Part 2, Surnames M-W
This is Part 1 of a verbatim transcription of selected biographies from "History of Alameda County, California" published by Myron Wood in 1883. The biographies selected were mostly those of residents of Murray Township, which at that time included the towns of Altamont, Dublin, Livermore, Midway, Pleasanton and Suñol, and their surrounding countryside. A few of the subjects lived elsewhere, but owned land or had business interests in Murray Township.
It should be recognized that Wood's "History", valuable as it is for genealogy and history, contains only biographies of those citizens who were willing to pay for their inclusion, or had relatives willing to do so. The biographies are invariably flattering and may omit some important but inconvenient genealogical data.
L-AGS has published an index to the entire contents of Wood's "History". A description of this index is at Wood's Index. This index is on paper only, not online.
[page 837] - Was born in Cole County, Missouri, November 13, 1828, and is the son of David and Elizabeth (Storey) Allen. When but two years of age he was taken by his parents to Cooper County, where they resided five years; after which they transferred their habitation to Jackson County, not far from Independence, where our subject first attended school. His father and mother now moved to the adjoining county and took up their residence on a farm, where they remained until 1846, when the family determining to emigrate, joined the party captained by Hon. Elam Brown of Contra Costa County, and with it came to California. His father was taken sick at Fort Bridger on the route, and was left behind; and his mother died and was buried at the Sink of the Humboldt. Mr. Allen and his party entered California at Johnson's Ranch, October 10, 1846, where they found the proprietor to be a rough sailor, dwelling in a dirty little hut, and surrounded by naked Indians - a fact which caused some confusion among the ladies of the train. Continuing their journey they camped on the spot where Sacramento, the capital of the State, now stands. About a mile and a half up the American River, at New Helvetia, stood the hospitable inclosure of Sutter's Fort, where beef, flour, and other commodities were procured, the fresh meat and bread being highly appreciated, for they had been long desired. Here it had to be decided whither the party should permanently locate, the places receiving the greatest favor being the Santa Clara Valley, Napa, and Sonoma. Mr. Allen with his brothers and sisters elected for Santa Clara, to which place they at once set out in company with Elam Brown and his family. On arrival at the San Joaquin it was found necessary to swim the entire train across its turbulent waters. The journey was now continued to the rancho of Robert Livermore, and here, in October, 1846, Mr. Allen camped on the site of the prosperous town which bears the patronymic of the English pioneer. Following through the Suñol Valley, and passing the Mission of San José, they emerged on to the Santa Clara Valley, went through the Pueblo de San José and three miles further came to a halt at the Santa Clara Mission, where they located. Mr. Allen now enlisted in the military company raised by Capt. Charles M. Weber, the services of which are detailed in our chapter on the Military Occupation of the northern portion of Upper California, and with it took part in all the stirring incidents of that campaign. [page 838] In the year 1847 he met his father, whom he had not seen since leaving him at Fort Bridger, and subsequently, with his brother-in-law, William M. Mendenhall, took up his residence on a ranch about six miles from Santa Clara, which Mr. Allen, Senior, had purchased. Here our subject resided until the discovery of gold. As soon as this startling intelligence was announced, Mr. Allen immediately proceeded to the American River, and engaged in mining for a month, at the end of which time he returned to the ranch, he there with Mr. Mendenhall made a gold-rocker - the first seen in the State - and returned to the mines. Taking with him pack mules he commenced selling goods in partnership with Warren Brown throughout the diggings, and remained there until the fall of 1848, when he returned to the farm in Santa Clara Valley. His father, who had remarried in Oregon and made his home there, now sent for our subject and his younger brother and sister to join him. After a rough and tedious voyage of forty-one days, fourteen of which were passed on the bar at the mouth of the Columbia River on account of water being frozen to a depth of eight inches, and the voyage up the river made in a canoe, they arrived in Portland, when they proceeded to Salem. Mr. Allen's stay in Oregon was short. At the end of four months he returned to California and embarked in a mule freighting business between Sacramento and the mines. During the winter of 1849-1850 he bought cattle and wintered them at Cache Creek. In the year 1849 he and Jones Spect laid out the town of Fremont at the confluence of Feather and Sacramento Rivers. In 1850 he was appointed Sheriff of Yolo County by Governor Burnett, in which office he served two years. At this period, owing to the depreciation of property in Fremont, he lost a considerable sum of money, he consequently returned to Santa Clara, while his brother-in-law, William M. Mendenhall, went into the stock business there. In the spring of 1853 these gentlemen moved into Contra Costa County, but in that fall Mr. Allen proceeded to Carson Valley to meet the immigration for the purpose of buying horses, establishing his headquarters on Clear Creek, twelve miles below Mormon Station; but remaining here only a few weeks he went to Rag Town and there encountered Martin Mendenhall with his father and family. At this time Mr. Allen first met Miss Sidesia Mendenhall, the lady he afterwards made his wife. With Mr. Mendenhall our subject returned to Contra Costa County and purchased the farm in San Ramon Valley now owned by William W. Cox, where he remained three years, after which he bought a ranch in Tassajara Valley, where he engaged in stock-raising for three years more. He now sold out the majority of his cattle, retaining three hundred head of the best, and entered into a partnership with Elisha Harlan, and thus continued for three years further. Mr. Allen now transferred his habitation to Alamo, and afterwards to Martinez where he remained until the fall of 1861. At this time he moved to San Francisco with the intention of acquiring real estate there, but engaged in mining in Virginia City, Nevada, and Reese River. During these last years Mr. Allen suffered much from sickness, and was consequently not as successful in accumulating the goods of this world as he otherwise might have been. He now engaged in the livery business, which he continued until 1865, when, disposing of it, he was appointed by Governor Haight Adjutant-General of Militia for the State of California, the functions of which office he discharged for three years. About this time Mr. Allen's sight began to fail him; he therefore repaired to Santa Clara for a three months' rest, after which, he returned to San Francisco, where he was prostrated by asthma. To seek his health he came to Livermore, Alameda County, where he has since resided, engaged in real estate operations. Colonel Allen was present in Mexico during the Maximilian War. Mr. Allen's family consists of one son, viz.: Eugene D., born in San Ramon, Contra Costa County; Delora Belle, now the wife of Doctor Biddle, Healdsburg.
[page 839] - Was born in Cayuga County, New York, May 14, 1846, and there resided until November, 1854. In this month Mr. Anthony, his parents, Wm. and C. C. Anthony, two sisters and a brother sailed for California via the Nicaragua route, and arrived in San Francisco in December of the same year. After a short time passed in the Bay City our subject and his parents moved to Santa Cruz and there he was in part educated. After serving his apprenticeship at the tinsmith's trade with his father, his schooling was continued in the Brayton School, Oakland. On his return to the home of his father, he engaged as hardware clerk to the successor of his father in business, which he followed until coming to Alameda County in December, 1869. He now settled in Livermore and commenced business in the old town of Laddsville, and in 1872 erected his present store buildings and opened the hardware emporium he now conducts. Mr. Anthony was the first Treasurer of the town of Livermore, and was the Town Clerk during the terms 1880-81 and 1881-1882. He married in Santa Cruz, February 28, 1872, Miss Mary S. Newell, a native of the city of New York, and has no issue.
[page 841] - Was born in Saccarappa, Cumberland County, Maine, January 14, 1837, where he received his education and resided with his father, who owned and carried on an iron and brass foundry. Was a molder and foundry man until starting for the Pacific Coast. On June 16, 1852, being then fifteen years of age, our subject sailed for California by way of the Isthmus of Panama, and arrived in San Francisco per steamer Daniel Webster, on the 9th August of the same year, coming direct to J. B. Sweetser's farm, at what is now Centreville, Alameda County, where he continued until the fall of 1857, when he revisited his home in Maine. During his absence his parents had removed to Portland, where he spent the winter of 1857-58. In the following spring he returned to California and located on his present place, having previously purchased a hundred acres of land situated three miles west from Washington Corners, has there made many extensive improvements and resided ever since, with the exception of a trip, starting in April, 1863, and returning in October, the same year, to Washington Territory by the way of Carson, Humboldt, Snake, Burnt, and Powder Rivers, back across the Blue and Cascade Mountains to Eugene City, Oregon, thence back by stage road through California home. He went on horseback, as a great part of the way there was not even a trail. He also made a visit to Arizona by Tulare Lake, Fort Tejon, Mohave River to Fort Mohave thence returning by San Bernardino, Los Angeles, and then the coast road home. Went with light spring wagon. His companions returned from Los Angeles by steamer, but he returned on horseback with as many of their animals as were able to stand the trip. They started in the fall of 1863, returning in January, 1864. Mr. Babb occupies himself with general farming and running a threshing machine in the proper season. Beyond being one of the organizers of the Washington Township Pioneer Association and one of its charter members, Mr. Babb has held no office. Our subject also owns one hundred and sixty acres of land on the Patterson Pass road seven miles from Livermore, which he leases.
[page 842] - Was born in Lerci, Italy, and there spent his early life, having, when quite young, adopted the sea as a calling, and as such visited most parts of the known world. The year 1850 found him in California, and in San Francisco engaged in the fishing business for several years. After passing a good many more years in the mines, he went to Mexico, and embarked in the drygoods business, and on his return once more tempted fortune in the gold-yielding cañons of the Sierras. He once more, after this period, commenced fishing for the San José market, and in 1858 opened a general merchandise store at Mission San José, where he resided six years, when he came to Alisal, now Pleasanton, and opened the first hotel in that place, it being a portion of the present Rose Hotel, and then known as the Pleasanton Hotel. In the year 1867 he came to Laddsville, built a hotel there and conducted it for four years, when he purchased the ranch now occupied by Mr. Robinson, and set out the first vineyard in that locality. [page 843] On the destruction of the hotel by fire in 1872, he continued farming until 1874, when he disposed of his farm and moved onto his present property, which had been purchased by him some time previously, consisting of half a block on the corner of First and L Streets, in the town of Livermore, to which many extensive improvements have since been made, all of which have developed into the Washington Hotel, one of the leading hostelries in the prosperous town of Livermore. Married in San Francisco October 20, 1862, Maria Lometti, a native of Italy, and has four children, viz.: Joseph B., Corinne J., Furrello J., Emil A.
The subject of this sketch, for six years a resident of Livermore, was born in New Portland, Maine, in 1855, and is consequently twenty-seven years of age. He completed his schooling at fifteen, learned the printing business, and worked for several years as a journeyman in Boston, Philadelphia, and San Francisco, before becoming of age. In January, 1877, he resigned a lucrative situation in the last city, to engage in the newspaper business in this county, starting, with a very limited capital, the Livermore Herald, now a well-established and influential journal. Two years ago he added the real estate business to his newspaper work, in which his success has been without precedent in that section of the county. By this means, and through the columns of his paper, he has succeeded in bringing many new settlers to Livermore Valley. He was one of the first to make known abroad its resources, having written and published in 1878, a pamphlet of forty pages descriptive of its advantages, which obtained a large and wide circulation. He is an active member of the Pacific Coast Press Association, and aside from his regular literary work and business, an occasional contributor to the San Francisco press. Series of articles from his pen, on the scenery of the high sierras, published in the Chronicle in June last, have been copied by numerous of the larger Eastern journals and in Europe, besides being quoted as authority by Omman's new guidebook to this State. He possesses a decided fondness for mountain scenery, and makes frequent trips through the Coast Range and Sierras, each of which adds to a fund of information, for use in subsequent literary work. He is, moreover, an active, energetic business man, and an earnest worker for the best interests of every section of Livermore Valley.
[page 846] - This well-known gentleman of Alameda County is a native of Pennsylvania. Born in Westmoreland County, October 30, 1830, where he resided until he attained the age of twenty-one years. He then came, via the Mississippi River, Gulf of Mexico, across Texas and Mexico, to California, arriving in San Francisco July 19, 1852; coming immediately to Mission San José, [page 847] where he found employment for a short time at his trade of blacksmithing, and then went to Alvarado; and finally, in 1853, located in Centreville, where he carried on business until 1862, when he moved to Washington Corners, and in August, 1868, transferred his business to the thriving town of Livermore; and in 1878, in connection with his brother, erected their present shop on Lizzie Street, where they transact a general blacksmithing business, under the firm name of Beazell Brothers. In the fall of 1875 Mr. Beazell was called from his anvil by the voters of Alameda County to represent them in the State Senate, a position he was re-elected to in 1876, filling all the functions of that high office to the satisfaction of his constituents and honor to himself. In January, 1871, our subject was united in marriage, in San Francisco, to Miss C. W. Veirs, a native of Ohio, by which union they have two children, Ella B. and Jessie M.
[page 848] - Was born in San José, Santa Clara County, California, May 25, 1848. His father, Augustin Bernal, who died June 19, 1872, was born at the Santa Teresa Rancho, in Santa Clara County, and was eighty-seven years of age at the time of his demise. For more than twenty years he served as a lieutenant in the Mexican army, for which he received eleven leagues of land in the San Ramon and Livermore Valleys, known as the Rancho El Valle de San José, and which he divided equally with his brother Juan Pablo Bernal, and two sisters. As patented, the rancho contained forty-eight thousand acres, and extended from Suñol Valley to Livermore. He was twice married, and left a widow and large family of sons and daughters to mourn his loss. He was much respected for his honesty, integrity, genial and generous disposition, while, he was an exception to the general run of his countrymen. He was very careful and held on well to his property, and made it secure by dividing it among his children; the result is that the Bernals hold their ground on the original grant better than any other of the native families. When but an infant the subject of this sketch was brought by his parents to what is now known as Alameda County, where he has since resided, at present owning an estate of eleven hundred and fifty acres, which he rents, and maintains a residence himself in Pleasanton. Married Miss Francesca Soto, a native of San Mateo County, by whom there is no issue.
[page 849] - The subject of this sketch, whose portrait appears in this work, as a proper representative of one of the earliest families to settle in Alameda County, was born in Pleasanton, in that county, April 8, 1856, and is the son of Francisco and Maria (Thompson) Bernal. When he was fourteen years of age he left California for South America, and having visited all of the principal ports on its Pacific Coast, at the end of five years returned to his birthplace on December 8, 1875. In the following month he entered the Golden Gate Academy where he remained until November 18, 1878, and in January, 1879, commenced a course in a business college in San Francisco, from which he graduated on Christmas-day of the same year. Mr. Bernal then took up his residence in Livermore, but in August 1881 took a trip to Arizona and Mexico, where he visited the mining districts of those States, and shortly after came back to California. On his return home he won the heart of a dark-eyed daughter of one of Alameda County's Supervisors, but a native of New York, to whom he was united in marriage in 1883. He has since taken up his abode in his beautiful residence in the town of Livermore, near which he has a large farm of very valuable land, on which there is a comfortable farm-house, with mill, barn, etc. Mr. Bernal also possesses some property in the vicinity of Pleasanton.
This scion of one of California's most ancient and well-known Spanish families, was born in what was then known as the Contra Costa section of the District of San José, October 20, 1823. Save during the time of attending the schools at Monterey, the former capital of California, Mr. Bernal has been always a resident of what is now called Murray Township, Alameda County - the place of his birth. Fuller remarks on the Bernal family will be found elsewhere. Our subject married, November 10, 1855, Alta Garcia Higuerra, a native of California, by whom there are: Ezequiel, Ezequies, Peryguino, Gonzaguia, Francisco, Emil, Manuel, Candido, Sedonia, Madronia.
Was born in Baden, Germany, January 7, 1837. When about twenty years of age, he emigrated to the United States, sailing from Havre, and arriving in New York July 3, 1857. After working at his trade for five years in the State of New York, and about nine months in Connecticut, he sailed from New York in April, 1863, via Panama, to San Francisco, landing May 10th of the same year. For the first three months he worked in Benicia; afterwards he moved to San José; then to Mission San José, and subsequently in different places until the fall of 1865, when he came to Pleasanton, there being but five houses in the town at that time. Here he commenced working at his trade, which has steadily increased, until at the present writing he is the proprietor of a large wagon factory. To Mr. Bilz is the honor of building the first wagon in the Livermore Valley. He married in Centreville, March 28, 1869, Miss Catharine Ishinger, a native of Wüttemberg, Germany, and has three surviving children, viz.: Helene, Selma, and Minnie; and one deceased named Charles.
[page 851] - Whose portrait appears in this volume, was born in Burlington County, New Jersey, April 1, 1835, and there resided until he attained the age of eighteen years. On April 26, 1853, he sailed from New York on board the Crescent City for Panama, whence taking passage in the Golden Gate, he arrived in San Francisco June 1, 1853. Mr. Black located at once in Alvarado, Alameda County, and subsequently purchasing the farm now owned by S. P. Harvey, there prosecuted agriculture until 1859. Disposing of the ranch in that year he moved to Dublin, Murray Township, followed farming on the Dougherty Ranch, and was the first, in point of fact, to till the ground in that locality. In 1863 he transferred his operations to the Bernal Rancho, where he has since engaged in raising grain. [page 852] In 1866 Mr. Black purchased the interests of Juan, Raphilo, and Joaquin Bernal in the Rancho El Valle de San José, consisting of seven thousand seven hundred acres, plots one, two, twenty-six, thirty-three, and thirty-four of which he has retained and laid subject to the plow. Mr. Black, besides his large grain-growing enterprises, has thirty-five acres of land planted with vines, now of two years' growth, being the first vineyard of any importance in the Livermore Valley, while he is laying out in the same manner one hundred and fifty acres more this year, and building a series of fine wine-cellars. Mr. Black has also twenty-five acres in hops, which he has found a profitable venture. Has subdivided and sold this year over twelve hundred acres for grapes in subdivisions from seven to two hundred acres, and with the assistance of Charles A. Wetmore, Chief Viticulture officer, has succeeded in establishing on the Arroyo Valle what promises to be the best dry-wine district in the State. He married, in the residence of Greene Patterson, Alameda County, California, in the year 1865, Miss Mary E. Simpson, a native of Independence, Missouri, by which union there are five children, viz.: Mary, Kate, Joseph, Ellis, and Frank.
[page 854] - Was born in Jackson County, Indiana, August 8, 1833. In 1851 he went west to Tama County, Iowa, and was a resident of that State sixteen years. In 1867 he emigrated, via Panama, to the Pacific Coast, came to Alameda County, and located on the place now owned by George Beck, about five miles north of Livermore. In 1878 he purchased his present homestead, adjoining that town, consisting of forty acres. Is married, and has two children, Florence and Maud.
[page 861] - Was born in Cortland County, New York, July 20, 1850. In the month of November, 1853, his parents sailing for the Pacific Coast, along with three sisters and two brothers, our subject was brought to California, via Panama, arriving in San Francisco, January 12, 1854. Coming direct to Alameda County Mr. Cheney, Senior, located on the land now owned by A. E. Rankin of Alvarado, while the subject of this sketch commenced his scholastic training, subsequently finishing at McClure's Military College in Oakland. In 1869 he proceeded to Carson City, Nevada, and found employment in a wholesale store, at the end of three years, however, he returned to Alameda County and embarked in agricultural pursuits near Centreville, where he resided until March, 1880. At that time he transferred his residence to Livermore, engaged in stock-raising, and thus continued until February 1882, when he opened his present store for groceries, provisions and gents' furnishing goods at the corner of K and First Streets. Mr. Cheney married in Centreville, Alameda County, California, Miss Annie E. Caffall, a native of England, and has three sons, viz.: Charles, Lewis, and William.
[page 871] - Was born in Ballston, Saratoga County, New York, April 9, 1822, and there remained during the first six years of his life, at which time he was sent to Sharon, Litchfield County, Connecticut, for a further period of five years. He then joined his parents, who had taken up their residence in Rochester, and subsequently removed with them to Cleveland, Ohio, where our subject resided and received his early education. He next attended and graduated from the Western Reserve Medical College in 1846, and in the spring of the following year emigrated to Stephenson County, Illinois, where he commenced the practice of his profession. Leaving that State in March, 1850, for the Golden State, he arrived at Johnson's Ranch on the national holiday of that year, and proceeding to Nevada City, there dwelt and engaged in business in partnership with P. B. Fagan for two years. [page 872] In the fall Of 1852 he returned to Illinois, and afterwards took up his residence in Wright County, Iowa, with his family, and there made his domicile until 1872. Doctor Cutler's has been no ordinary life; indeed, it may be said it has been one of extraordinary activity. In the year 1860 he was elected to the State Legislature of' Iowa for one term; in January, 1862, he assisted in the organization of the Thirty-second Regiment, Iowa Infantry, and with this corps proceeded to the front as Captain of Company A. He was subsequently transferred to the Ninth Regiment, as surgeon, and with it remained until mustered out of the service after the siege of Vicksburg. He then returned to his home in Iowa, and, in the bosom of his family, dwelt continuously there until he once more turned westward toward the Pacific shores. On arrival, he looked around for a spot on which to "pitch his tent," but where all places are so captivating he found difficulty in making a choice. At length his selection was made in Alameda County, in February, 1872, and in the following year his family joined him at Livermore, where he has since resided, practiced his profession, and conducted a drugstore. He married his present wife October 9, 1875, Miss F. A. Keeler, a native of Medina, New York, and has three children, viz.: Charles C., George L., and Cora A.
[page 873] - Was born in Switzerland in 1854, and there resided with his parents until he attained the age of fourteen years, when he emigrated to California, landing in San Francisco in September, 1869. He at once proceeded to Suñol, Alameda County, where he found employment on a farm. Four years thereafter he started a dairy on the ranch where he now resides in Suñol Valley, which he conducts in connection with several places in different parts of the county.
[page 874] - Was born in King's County, Ireland, November 11, 1832. When seventeen years of age he emigrated to the United States, and resided principally in the city of New York and the Western States until April, 1865, when he sailed from the Empire City for California via Panama. [page 875] Having resided in San Francisco until 1868, he then moved to Alameda County, and locating near Dublin, there purchased a tract of one hundred and sixty acres, which he lost after a lawsuit lasting ten years, the title thereto being defective. Since that time Mr. Donohue has contented himself with leasing land, and is now on a ranch situated about two miles from Pleasanton, a portion of the Bernal Rancho. Married, and had two children, both of whom are now deceased.
Was born in County Tyrone, Ireland. In the year 1858 he sailed from the green old isle to the United States, and proceeding to Philadelphia there sojourned for a short time. He then moved to Gloucester County, New Jersey, where he farmed until leaving for California. On March 25, 1865, he started by way of Panama for the Pacific Coast, and arrived in San Francisco on the 16th of April. He came at once to Alameda County, and found employment with John M. Horner at Mission San José for ten months, when he purchased the eighty-acre tract now in the possession of Mrs. John Taylor, and managed it for two years, at which time it was sold and his present property acquired, on which he settled February 3, 1870. From this land he was ousted through a defect in the title on June 3, 1871, since when he has rented it. His farm, which comprises three hundred and twenty-four acres, is situated five miles from Livermore, and there Mr. Dougherty devotes his time to general farming and stock-raising. He is married, and has a family of five children, viz.: John, Hugh, Alice, Mary, and Josephine.
The subject of this sketch, one of the best known pioneers of Alameda County, was a native of the State of Tennessee. At seventeen years of age he emigrated to the State of Mississippi, and there resided until 1849, having held the onerous and responsible offices of Sheriff and County Clerk of the county of his residence. In the above-mentioned year he sailed from New Orleans in the ship Humboldt for the Pacific Coast, but on arrival only stayed a short time in San Francisco. Having returned to his adopted State in the fall of 1850, the month of March, 1851, saw him once more leaving New Orleans for California, in company with Thomas D. Wells, now of Dublin, and several others. On arrival he proceeded to Sacramento, re-engaged in the business which he had started in 1849, and there resided, conducting it until 1852. In the spring of that year, having been joined by his wife, he came to Alameda County, and with William Glaskins purchased the Rancho of Don José Maria Amador, then consisting of some ten thousand acres of land. Some time afterwards the interest of Mr. Glaskins was purchased by Samuel B. Martin, whose share was bought about six years ago (about 1876) by Mr. Dougherty. This estate is now in the hands of Charles P. Dougherty, his son, who resides in the old homestead of the Amadors in the village of Dublin. Mr. Dougherty died September 29, 1879, leaving one son, named above. He was married in Tennessee, and had four children.
[page 876] - A portrait of whom will be found in this work, was born August 9, 1824, in the judicial district of the town of Pforzheim, Grand Duchy of Baden. His parents were John K. Duerr and Emilie Katharina Duerr, née Finter. The father, who held an elective municipal office for many years, took an active part in politics, always supporting the most advanced liberal principles, soon experienced the displeasure of the higher government officers during the period following upon the close of the Napoleonic wars. With an inherent dislike to monarchical institutions, the beacon light of liberty in the far west had long ago attracted his attention. Carl, the subject of this sketch, was the second of four sons. After receiving a common school education, he entered a machine shop at the age of fifteen, attending twice every week one of those technical schools found in most German cities. He was employed during this time on the first railroad built through the valley of the upper Rhine. While working at the large machine shop in Zürich, Switzerland, 1844, he got news of his father's final resolution to carry out his long cherished plan of making the country of freedom his future home, though knowing full well that all the material benefits could only be in the future prospects of his children. Carl, upon receiving the news, immediately returned home and devoted the remaining time exclusively to the further study of mechanical engineering. After a favorable voyage of thirty-two days across the Atlantic, he arrived in New York August 8, 1845. Newark, New Jersey,where several friends of the family were already located, was their objective point. The father, after a short residence in the town, bought a farm near Orange, New Jersey. Here the mother died in 1849, forty-seven years of age. Two of the sons being married by this time and the younger following the sea, the father being entirely left alone, disposed of his farm and spent the remainder of his days in Newark, where he died in 1867, seventy-one years of age. Charles, immediately after their first arrival in Newark, obtained work in a machine shop. At the end of one year he undertook, under the circumstances, the desperate venture of starting a machine shop on his own account. He did well beyond expectation. The news of the California gold-fields, however, soon had their effect on his sanguine and restless disposition. In the fall of 1849 the business that had been built with such energy and perseverance was sold out against the advice of his best friends. Steamer tickets were sold months ahead. On the 4th of April, 1850, he left New York for Panama, via the West Indies. After another stoppage of forty-five days, awaiting the steamer at Panama, he arrived in San Francisco July 11, 1850. For two years he was engaged in the city, mostly in building. In March, 1852, he went to Oregon by steamer, with L. Nusbaumer and others, returned by land, and arrived in the Sacramento Valley with a large drove of cattle in the fall of that year. On the 3d of March, 1853, through the advice of a friend, Fritz Boehmer, now residing in the town of Alameda, Charles Duerr came with him across the bay of San Francisco in a schooner, to locate a quarter-section of land for the latter, the identical place where now the town of Mount Eden stands. Being no practical farmer, the land was let on shares. In company with a friend, they started a shop, chiefly for the repairing of machinery. In 1855 he sold the possessory right to his land, and bought, together with L. Nusbaumer, another place on Dry Creek, in Washington Township. In the fall of 1857 the two jointly rented the estate of John W. Kottinger, in Murray Township, following sheep-raising and merchandising. Was appointed, 1858, a Justice of the Peace for the unexpired term of John W. Kottinger, resigned; in the fall of 1858 he was elected a member of the Board of Supervisors for Murray Township. In 1862, through the friendly assistance of J. West Martin, Esq., now mayor of Oakland, Duerr and Nusbaumer jointly acquired their first interest in the Rancho El Valle de San José; [page 877] subsequent purchases increased their interest to over three thousand, one hundred acres. They made their permanent home on the "Arroyo de la Laguna," two miles above Suñol, near the Central Pacific Railroad. Mr. Duerr followed surveying for some fifteen years; was elected County Surveyor in 1871. The later years he devoted exclusively to the management of his own affairs. Was married last January to Lucia Diestel who came from Germany only a few years ago, and who faithfully shares with him the never ceasing cares of a rural occupation.
[page 878] - Was born in Jefferson County, New York, March 15, 1850, where he resided for the first ten years of his life. On February 15, 1860, he accompanied his mother with one sister and two brothers to California by way of Panama, and arrived in San Francisco exactly one month thereafter. His mother having proceeded to Castroville, Santa Cruz County, where her brother, H. W. Rice, resided, our subject lived with her there until the month of December of the same year, when she moved to Alameda County and located at Haywards, where Mr. Dutcher was educated. In 1868 he came to Livermore and commenced learning the blacksmith's trade with James Beazell, but after nine months went to work with R. N. Caughill where he completed his apprenticeship. He now engaged in the employ of Allen & Graham as clerk in a general merchandise store for eighteen months, after which he served in the establishment of Charles Whitmore, for a year, when, on the opening of the house of G. W. Comegys - now the firm of Comegys, Black & Co., he worked for him eighteen months. On November 1, 1876, Mr. Dutcher entered upon the tinsmith and hardware business in the building now occupied by the Review office, and in September, 1879, moved into more commodious quarters located on Lizzie Street, where he is engaged in carrying on a flourishing trade. Has been Town Clerk of Livermore for one year.
Was born on the second day of March, 1828, in the town of Sullivan, Hancock County, Maine. son of Joshua and Elizabeth Dyer, natives of that State. His grandfather, Ephraim Dyer, for whom he was named, was a revolutionary soldier, was present at the battle of Hubbardton, at the battles of Stillwater and at the surrender of Burgoyne, and also served under Washington and Lafayette, and settled in Maine shortly after the close of the Revolutionary War. The subject of this sketch spent his early boyhood on his father's farm, was educated in the public schools and under private instructors, and could probably have entered an Eastern college had his means permitted. Was engaged in various employments, working in a ship-yard, school-teaching, surveying, etc., till the breaking out of the gold fever in California, and in the spring of 1850, at twenty-two years of age, having collected his available means, purchased a steerage ticket for that place, cabin tickets being beyond the reach of people of moderate means, and on the 15th of June of that year, sailed from New York for Chagres on a steamship commanded by Lieut. Schenck, and after eight days arrived at Havana, where the passengers were transferred to a steamer of about one-half the size; Lieut. Herndon, commanding, and in four days arrived at Chagres. The transportation up the river was in the hands of Jamaica negroes, which they carried on by means of small boats, loading them, as a rule, within six or eight inches of the gunwale, piling the baggage up high, and seating the passengers on top of that. Having embarked on the river, about two hours after dark they encountered a terrific tropical thunderstorm. Umbrellas would collapse immediately under the weight of the descending water, and it required the utmost efforts at bailing to prevent the boats from sinking. The wild shouting of the boatmen to prevent collision, the terrific thunder, the pitchy darkness, only relieved by the vivid lightning, together with the sense of great personal danger, made it an occasion never to be forgotten. Finally the passengers all effected a landing about eight miles above Chagres, where they found shelter under an old rookery. At daylight they again started up the river, and in two or three days they landed at Golgona, whence he took land passage to Panama, distant twenty-seven miles. At that point hearing nothing of the steamer in which he was to take passage to San Francisco, and having contracted the Panama fever, he exchanged his steamer ticket for cabin passage in the British brig Guinare, which sailed in a few days, and after a long passage arrived at San Francisco on the 17th day of September, 1850. [page 879] Business here, of all kinds, was at high pressure. Hundreds of miners were arriving from the mines, the larger part of whom, however, were "dead broke;" but many brought large quantities of gold, which they freely spent at the gambling-saloons, which were running at full blast at nearly every corner of the streets. Many of these saloons were most gorgeous in their appointments. In many of them hundreds of thousands of dollars were in sight. Gambling was a mania which seemed to have seized all classes. Skilled labor was high, carpenters receiving from eight to twelve dollars per day; masons, from ten to fourteen. The wages of common laborers were comparatively low on account of so many miners returning disappointed from the mines and seeking work. Good board for working men was obtainable at ten dollars per week, with as good lodging as is now afforded to farm-hands by the majority of California farmers. No vegetables were furnished except potatoes, as all others were enormously high. Mr. Dyer stopped in San Francisco, engaged in various employments about two months, and then took passage on a sloop for Union City, which was the embarcadero from whence nearly all vegetables raised in California were shipped. His object in going there was to get a chance, if possible, to engage in farming operations on his own account. In two days the passage was effected. This was his first arrival in what is now Alameda County. He found that nearly all produce shipped here was raised by John M. Horner, there being, however, a few others who were small producers. He took conveyance on a lumber-wagon to Mission San José, ten miles distant. This he found to be a most lively place. E. L. Beard lived here, who, together with John M. Horner and Andreas Pico, laid claim by purchase, to the whole tract of the ex-Mission San José. Mr. Beard was carrying on farming operations to some extent, and to him Mr. Dyer applied for land to farm, but without success. In passing from Union City to Mission San José on the then traveled road, only one house, a Spaniard's, was to be seen. The whole country presented the appearance of a barren waste, dry and verdureless, from the city of San José to where Oakland now stands. No trees, except a few scattering ones on the creeks, which had been left by the browsing cattle, thousands of which roamed the plains, and it was a deep mystery to him upon what they subsisted, as, according to his Eastern experience, the dried up grass strewn in every direction was utterly worthless. What a contrast between the country now and as it then appeared. On his way back to San Francisco, he made a detour, passing through the Horner Ranch, where he found them digging potatoes and shipping them and other farm produce to market. Farm hands, potato diggers, here were paid fifty dollars per month. When he reached Union City on his return, he found the opportunity which he so much coveted. A Mr. Cheney living near Horner's ranch, offered him his board, land, seed, feed, and team to carry on farming operations, charging a rental of one-half for their use. He accepted this offer, but Mr. Cheney, upon the death of his wife, which occurred shortly after, found himself unable to carry out his part of the agreement. It being then too late to seek another opportunity of that kind, which it was almost impossible to obtain among strangers, he engaged himself to J. M. Horner, to work on his ranch for one year in hopes that he might get another chance to farm by the end of his term. Mr. Horner had about one thousand acres inclosed, and cultivated, perhaps, one hundred and fifty. Produce that year had ranged very high, potatoes selling for ten cents per pound, cabbage one dollar per head. Mr. Horner sold that year from about three-fourths of an acre, ten thousand dollars worth of tomatoes. His principal crop, however, was potatoes which were selling at ten cents per pound. His total profit for that year must have been very large, indeed. He was the largest farmer in California by far, and was known throughout the United States as the great California Farmer. Contrast the magnitude of his farming operations then with the large farming operations carried on at the present time. The ranch work was performed by three classes: Americans, who generally did the teaming; Sonoreñas, and Yaqui Indians, who did the digging and delving. This was another successful year for farmers, who were largely remunerated for their labor and enterprise. [page 880] The desire for farming was greatly stimulated by these successes, more especially as it had been demonstrated that not the moist lands alone, such as those constituting a part of the Horner Ranch, were capable of raising potatoes. Mr. Horner made extensive preparations for extending his business outside his ranch limits, on other portions of the ex-Mission San José, and the Pacheco Rancho, near Alvarado; a part of which he had bought. He rented these lands on a certain share, generally furnishing seed, team, etc. Another opportunity for farming was again opened to Mr. Dyer, but was lost through the somewhat sharp practice of a prospective partner. It was again too late to get another opportunity. The fates were evidently against him, and he gave up any further attempt in that direction. Learning that large quantities of grapes were raised in Los Angeles, and could be bought very cheap owing to the extreme difficulty of shipping them to San Francisco in good order, where they bore a very high price, and remembering to have heard in his boyhood that grapes packed in sawdust, had been shipped from Spain and arrived in good order in the United States, he resolved to try the experiment on the Pacific Coast. Having entered into partnership with William H. Graves, they went to Los Angeles, and finding the business such as it had been represented, rented a vineyard as the nucleus of their operations, depending mainly on buying their grapes. In proper time Mr. Graves returned to San Francisco to superintend the buying and shipping of boxes and sawdust, while Mr. Dyer remained in Los Angeles to attend to the buying, packing, and shipping of the fruit. Returning to San Francisco after an absence of two years, he found the whole farming community of Alameda County involved in inextricable financial ruin. The year 1852, the first year he was in Los Angeles, was an exceedingly prosperous one with farmers. This completely turned their heads. The larger portion of the land from the Mission San José to Union City was ploughed up and put in potatoes. The farmers exhausted the profits of the year before, and all they could obtain on credit to put in their crops. The yield was very good. Many could have sold their crops in the field, at largely renumerative prices, but they were looking for a bonanza. There was a perfect mania on the potato question. Very few sold, and most of the crop of Washington Township was piled up in cribs on the banks of Alameda Creek at Union City. The supply in California proved in excess of the demand three to one, and the most of these potatoes rotted on the banks of the creek, a total loss to their owners. J. M. Horner, who, up to this time, had been the financial and agricultural king and oracle of these parts, was also involved in the common ruin. Mr. Dyer having spent two more years at Los Angeles, returned to reside permanently in Alameda County. In 1858, being desirous of purchasing improved cattle in the Western States, to drive to California, to explore personally the route over which they had to be driven, he took passage at Placerville August, 1858, in the overland stage, arriving at St. Joseph, Missouri, in forty days, being detained in Salt Lake City ten days of that time. He was the first through passenger across the continent, being the pioneer in that respect of the Overland Mail Line. Mr. Dyer, while in Illinois, married Ellen F. Ingalls, a former resident of his native town, and second daughter of B. F. Ingalls, a prominent ship-builder in that portion of Maine. They returned by steamer to California in the fall of 1859, and settled at Alvarado. In 1861, after the election of Lincoln, he was appointed by Lieutenant Beale, United States Surveyor General, United States Deputy Surveyor, and was engaged in the Government surveys, under him and his successors twelve years, surveying, in addition to other tracts, the lands lying on the eastern boundary of the State, extending from below Lake Tahoe nearly to the Oregon line, embracing the region about Lake Tahoe, Sierra, Honey Lake, and Surprise Valleys. In November, 1863, he was elected Captain of the Alvarado Guards, which position he held until the general disbanding of the military companies of the State, by Governor Haight, in 1867. He united with a company in 1870, in building a beet-sugar factory in Alvarado, which proved an utter failure, as the management fell into incompetent hands. [page 881] A second factory built on the same ground, under a different management has proved a success. In 1874 he moved with his family from Alvarado to live on a farm he had bought some few years before, near Altamont, Murray Township, and also to take charge of some landed interests that he held there in common with other parties. The method of summer fallowing, which was not in vogue here except on his own farm and in a very few unimportant cases, he made compulsory on the lands under his charge, where from being almost non-producing, they now raise under this method a fair remunerative crop. Many other farmers have followed the example, and summer fallowing, among, successful farmers, in all places adapted to it, is now rather the rule than the exception.
[page 884] - Whose portrait appears in this history, was born in Bavaria, Germany, November 20, 1821, and there resided until he attained the age of twenty-five years, having learned the trade of shoemaker with his father. In May, 1846, he determined to emigrate to the United States; therefore, taking ship at Bremerhaven, he sailed to the "Land of the Free," and first found employment in Buffalo, on board a steamboat. In the following year he enlisted in the United States Army (Ordnance Department), and, with his corps, proceeded to and took part in the Mexican War, after which he came to the Pacific Coast; and to California with Captain C. P. Stone, who was detailed to establish an arsenal at Benicia (now Solano County). In the establishment of that post Mr. Fath took part, and there was quartered for some time. May 27, 1853, being mustered out of the service, he then went to Fort Point, where he helped to land the first seven cannon, at the time of the Crimean War, in 1854. Then he returned to Benicia and took charge of the Government stock, under Captain Cleary, Quartermaster, for two years. Then he betook himself to dairying, and so continued until 1859, when he transferred his location to Alameda County, and first settled on land now owned by Charles McLaughlin, about six miles from Livermore, on the Azro Bayo. There he resided until the fall of 1864, when he came to Livermore, took up a claim of one hundred and sixty acres of land - his pay for Army services - on which he now resides. Married in Vallejo, Solano County, California, in 1857, Miss Mary Feehely, a native of Ireland, and has six children, viz.: John A., Valentine, Mary M., Annie M., Frederick W., Louisa L.
[page 886] - Was born in Wilmington, Newcastle County, Delaware, April 19, 1812, and is the son of William Gibbons, , M. D., and Rebecca (Donaldson) Gibbons. Having resided with his parents, and from them received a careful early training and education, he subsequently learned and followed the printing business for several years. Mindful of the necessity of a more liberal education, he also attended during this period medical and scientific lectures in Philadelphia, and became a member of the Philadelphia Academy of Natural Sciences, which institution has ever afforded the best opportunities for study and investigation in every department of science. It was here that botany became a specialty, outside of his subsequent profession. Failing in health, he returned to the county of his birth, and farmed there until 1839, when he was induced to take charge of a seminary for young ladies, at Poughkeepsie, Dutchess County, New York, a position he held until 1849. During his tenure of this office he assiduously devoted himself to the study of medicine, and, by more than ordinarily close application, was enabled to graduate in the year 1846, in the University of the city of New York. In the last-mentioned year, aided by Messrs. Kelly and Pratt, two lights of the "fourth estate," Dr. Gibbons made a raid upon the ancient Lancashire School system in Poughkeepsie, and by a series of well-planned and successful attacks carried war into the camp of the enemy, overthrew the pernicious method of a by-gone antiquity, and succeeded in establishing the free school system, which has, far and wide, become a pride to our country. For four years the Doctor served as President of the Board for the management of this system, which he had been instrumental in creating, with the gentlemen above named. In the month of December, 1852, he sailed from New York, per steamer Uncle Sam, to the Isthmus of Panama, where he was attacked with cholera, then so prevalent among the emigrants, who were detained by thousands in that pestiferous climate. The Doctor says that he shall ever remember with gratitude the kindly act of the late W. C. Ralston, who carried him in his arms from the hotel to the beach, when he was so enfeebled by disease as to be unable to walk. It is truly by such happy actions that friendships are cemented and recollections are perpetuated. [page 887] From Panama he sailed on the Cortes, Captain Crocker, on that memorably disastrous voyage, during which fifty-eight of her passengers were buried in the ocean, as many more having succumbed to the cholera on the Isthmus; and shortly after landing, on January 3, 1853, he commenced the practice of his profession. This he continued until 1856, when he moved to Columbia, Tuolumne County, and lo! here the old Lancashire School system flourished like a green-bay tree. To attack it was second nature with the Doctor; aided by a few citizens, in a little while the free school system was inaugurated, a brick school house was built, and accommodation provided for the instruction of two hundred children. Doctor Gibbons resided in Tuolumne County until 1862, when he made a trip to Mono County, and finally took up his quarters in Aurora, Esmeralda County, Nevada; moving therefrom, however, in 1863, to Alameda County and town, where he has since practiced his profession. At the incorporation of the town of Alameda, in 1872, Doctor Gibbons was elected to the position of President of the Board of Education, and was mainly instrumental in the organization of the present school system for which that town-township is so deservedly famous. Married, March 5, 1835, Mrs. Mary Robinson, a native of New York City, the ceremony being performed in the good old Quaker fashion, while their marriage certificate has on its face no less than one hundred and thirteen names. The family now surviving by this union consists of three sons, viz.: Robinson, Alfred, and William.
[page 888] - Was born in Panola County, Mississippi, August 25, 1845; thence he removed, with his parents, to North Carolina, and afterwards to Virginia. [page 889] In 1856 he came to California, and from that time until 1858 lived in San Francisco. In the latter year the family settled in Oakland, where Mr. Glascock entered the Durant School, then under control of the Rev. Henry Durant, the father of education in this State, the founder of the College of California, and the leading spirit in the formation of the University of California. Under the influence of this wise and guileless old man Mr. Glascock was prepared for college, which he entered in 1861. He graduated in 1865 as valedictorian of his class. At school and in college he showed a quick and ready mind, and gave promise of intellectual ripeness, which promise his manhood has amply fulfilled. After graduation he read law in his father's office; but wishing for more advantages for legal education than our young State then possessed, in 1867 he went East, and entered the law school at the University of Virginia, where, by close application, he compressed a two years' course into one year. Returning to this State in 1868, he was admitted to the practice of law by the Supreme Court, and immediately entered into practice with his father, W. H. Glascock, with whom he has remained ever since. In the spring Of 1875 he married Miss Mary Wall, a daughter of Jesse S. Wall, a prominent citizen of Oakland. The result of this union has been two children, both having been born in this county. Mrs. Glascock is an intelligent and accomplished lady, well known through her literary work, and, particularly, as being the author of an interesting novel entitled "Dare." In the fall of 1875 Mr. Glascock was elected District Attorney of Alameda County by over eight hundred majority, being the first Democrat elected in the county for many years. He served the people faithfully and conscientiously, satisfying all by his integrity and good work, and, upon the expiration of his term, declining a second nomination, returned to the practice of law. In 1880, much against his inclination, the nomination for Congress in the Second Congressional District was forced upon him by the Democrats of that district. He recognized the impossibility of success, but, true to his idea of duty, having accepted, he literally took off his coat and went into the fight; and, though defeated, succeeded, through personal popularity, and a most thorough canvass, in very largely reducing the majority against him. In 1882 he was selected by the Democratic State Convention as a nominee for Congress from the State-at-Large by the handsome vote of three hundred and eighteen out of four hundred and fifty-seven members constituting that body. He made the most extended canvass of the campaign, speaking in almost every county in the State, and was elected by over thirteen thousand majority. During the campaign he earned a well deserved reputation for oratory. He is a fluent and powerful speaker, drawing a crowd by his personal magnetism, and holding them well. He is yet a young man, and a brilliant future is predicted for him in Congress. He occupies a high position at the bar as a good pleader and logical reasoned; and in politics, he stands forth as an incorruptible man, ever on the side of the people, and against special privilege and injustice. He is bold in enunciating his principles, and firm in maintaining them. Mr. Glascock is justly considered one of the leading young men of the State. Alameda has now the first representative, elected from her county, in Congress - one who is identified in every way with her interest, and alive to her welfare; a man upon whom she can fully rely, as a mother upon the strength and intelligence of her son.
[page 890] - The subject of this sketch came to California in the year 1866, resided in Oakland, Alameda County, until 1873, having settled there in 1871. Moving to Livermore, he purchased the harness shops of George A. Beebe and C. N. Luis, and in 1877 built his present establishment at the corner of First and J Streets, where he carries on a general harness and saddler business. During the year 1878-1879 he officiated as Town Clerk of Livermore. Is married, and has four children, viz.: Dora, Katie, Walter, and Alma.
[page 891] - The subject of this sketch is an old resident of Alameda County, having arrived within its boundaries before it was segregated from the counties of Contra Costa and Santa Clara; is a native of Berkshire County, Massachusetts; born December 14, 1832, and is a descendant of the old Pilgrim stock, his father being born in the above State, November 5, 1804; and our subject is the second child of a family of five, two sons and three daughters. When but four years of age his parents moved to Chenango County, New York, where they remained for two years, and then took up their residence in Brown County, in the same State, where our subject resided until nearly eighteen years of age. September 3, 1851, Mr. Hadsell concluded to seek the land of gold, and accordingly took passage on board the steamer Illinois, via Chagres River, and after a weary journey on foot across the Isthmus of Panama, where he took passage on board the steamer Panama, and arrived in San Francisco, October 22d of the same year. On landing Mr. Hadsell, like most pioneers, immediately proceeded to the mines in Tuolumne County, and embarked in mining until October 9, 1852, when he abandoned the mines and came to this county, first finding employment at Beard's Landing, in Washington Township, where he remained until the fall of 1853; when, after one year spent in Santa Cruz County, he finally located in Santa Clara. County, and followed agricultural pursuits until the year 1862, when he moved to Suñol Valley, Alameda County, where he has since purchased a magnificent farm, on which he resides, honored and respected by the whole community in which he lives. Mr. Hadsell was united in marriage, April 16, 1868, to Miss Anna Maria Kolb, a native of Germany, by which union they have three children, viz.: Bertha A., Charles F., and Annie M.
[page 896] - Was born in Ferrisburg, Addison County, Vermont, February 27, 1838, where he chiefly resided until he reached the age of twelve years, at which time, his father coming to California, he made his home with General S. P. Strong, of Vergennes, Vermont, where he remained until he attained the age of sixteen years, when he went to Potsdam, New York, to engage in business with his uncle, Berlin Price, who was one of the owners of the Bank of Potsdam, New York. He remained there until his twentieth year, then going to Chicago, where he entered a dry goods house. Accompanied by his brother, Henry A. Hawley, on December 20, 1859, he sailed from New York for San Francisco by way of Panama, where he arrived January 14, 1860. Mr. Hawley at once proceeded to Butte County, and subsequently to Plumas County, where he was engaged in quartz-mining fifteen years. In 1880 he took up his residence in the town of Alameda, but concluding not to remain inactive, he commenced the erection of the Bank of Livermore February 13, 1882, which is a fine two-story brick building erected at the corner of Main and Lizzie Streets. The bank was opened to business March 26, 1883, Mr. Hawley was married in New York City, to Dr. Homer Bostwick's daughter, on January 1, 1883,
[page 905] - Is a native of County Cork, Ireland, and emigrated to the United States when nineteen years of age. First settling in New York, he there resided ten years, when he removed to Wayne, Pennsylvania, and engaged in farming until starting for California. In January, 1869, he made the journey by railroad to this State, but shortly after returned to the Eastern States for his family, who came back with him in the following year, when he purchased his present farm of four hundred and forty acres, situated a mile and a half from Livermore, where he is engaged in general farming and stock-raising. Is married and has a family of thirteen children, viz.: Margaret, John, Thomas, Frank, Helen, Mamie, James, Agnes, Theresa, Gertrude, Timothy, Joseph, William, and Alice (deceased).
[page 908] - Was born in Washington County, Virginia, May 19, 1852, but when two years of age was moved by his parents to Clay County, Illinois, where he resided until 1870, in which year he proceeded to the Territories, and in April, 1874, arrived in California, locating near Pleasanton. In 1875 he entered the employ of M. B. Lander & Co., and two years thereafter, purchased an interest in the firm, which is now known as Hortenstine, Storer & Co., of Pleasanton, engaged in general merchandising. Married, April 15, 1880, Miss Luella Hay, a native of California, and has one daughter, named Ethel. Both his father's and mother's family are identified with the early history of this country, they having settled in Virginia and Tennessee before the Revolution, in which they took part.
[page 913] - Was born in East Tennessee, in the year 1827, but when only nine years old was taken by his parents to Illinois, settling near Quincy, Adams County. Here he attended the common schools and learned farming. In 1846 he commenced to acquire the cooper's trade in Quincy, and in 1847 engaged in that trade on his own account, continuing it for two years. In April, 1849, he started for California with ox-teams, by way of the plains, and on arrival mined for a few months, when he opened a boarding-house in Sacramento in a canvas house that cost three thousand dollars, and which was ruined on account of the flood. Returning to the mines to retrieve his fallen fortunes, he there remained until 1853, when he embarked in sheep farming for a year at Danville, Contra Costa County,. Mr. Inman now went to the mines, where he stayed until 1858, when he returned to his farm at Danville, and there resided eight years. Selling now his farm, he purchased his place in Livermore Valley, where he has since resided. In 1863 he contested the office of Sheriff of Contra Costa County with J. J. McEwen; in 1867-1868, was elected to the Board of Supervisors of Alameda County; and in 1869, was elected to the Legislature over the Republican candidate. In 1873 he was defeated for the Legislature; in 1877 was again defeated. In 1878 was elected a Delegate to the Constitutional Convention; and in 1880 led the forlorn hope again to defeat for the House of Assembly, being again defeated in 1882. Married November 16, 1863, in Danville, Contra Costa County, Miss Josephine Jones, and has seven children.
[page 923] - The subject of this sketch is the youngest son of Anthony and Rosa (Koenig) Kottinger, and was born in Austria, November 24, 1820. When nine years of age he was sent by his parents to the city of Vienna, the capital of Austria, where he received that education which leaves him a scholar of great erudition. At the age of twenty-two years he entered the family of Prince Charles Lichtenstein as private tutor, where he remained until November, 1845, in which year he went to Switzerland. In 1846 he crossed the Atlantic to New Orleans, and came from there with George D. Prentice to Louisville, Kentucky, with whom he was connected until February, 1847, while that gentleman was editor of the Louisville Journal. Mr. Kottinger subsequently resided in different portions of the United States, and ultimately sailed from New York to Rio de Janeiro, Valparaiso, etc. finally arriving in California, September 16, 1849, on the Hamburg bark Adelgunda. After a sojourn of six days in San Francisco our subject proceeded to the Pueblo de San José, where he opened the first school taught there. From January, 1850, he acted as interpreter in the different courts of Santa Clara County, until October, at which time he purchased a band of cattle and drove them to the mines for sale. This done, he returned to San José and entered into partnership with District Attorney Sanford, being admitted to the practice of law in the spring of 1851. In the fall of that year he came to what is now Alameda County and settled at Pleasanton, then commonly known as Alisal from the many sycamore trees in that vicinity. For an account of Mr. Kottinger's doings we refer the reader to the history of Murray Township. In January, 1852, he was joined by his family, and then entered into the business of stock-raising, which he followed until the year 1857, at which time he removed his residence to San Francisco and embarked in the real estate business. In 1862 he returned to Alameda County, where he has since resided. Married, April 27, 1850, Señorita Maria R. Bernal, and has a family of nine children surviving, viz.: John, Franklin, Alfred, William, Rosa, Eva, Annie, Maggie, and Martha.
[page 926] - This old pioneer, after whom is named the fertile Livermore Valley, in which stands the prosperons town also so called, was born in Bethnal Green, London, England, in the year 1799, and there remained until 1823, when he entered the naval service of Great Britain, taking part in several notable sea fights, being for some time on the South American Coast under Lord Cochrane, afterwards Earl of Dundonald, when that famous Admiral was in command of the Peruvian fleets. He subsequently entered the merchant service, and while serving in that branch of the marine service came to Monterey in the year 1820. He soon after took to a shoregoing life, and proceeding to the Pueblo de San José, there became acquainted with his future partner Noriega. Having worked for some time in the vicinity of the pueblo on the ranch of Juan Alvarez and there acquiring the Spanish language, he soon became a great favorite among the Mexicans, his fair hair and captivating manners making him especially liked among the gentler sex. Not long after he removed to the Rancho Agua Caliente, or Warm Springs, where he stayed with the family of Higuera, and quickly finding favor in the eyes of one of the daughters of the house, secured her for a companion through life. We next hear of Robert Livermore in what is now the Suñol Valley where building an adobe residence he located and entered upon the raising of stock and the cereals. He was here joined by his old comrade Noriega, and with him developed the idea of securing a rancho in the neighboring valley, then a wilderness of wild oats and chaparral and the home of large and small game. In 1835 he settled on the Las Positas Rancho, in Livermore Valley - the grant being secured in 1835 - and, subsequently purchasing the interest of Noriega, there resided until the day of his death, which occurred in February, 1858. His estate he left to his wife and eight children. Robert Livermore was essentially a good man and true, and was of that grit of which the proper pioneer is made. His hospitality was unbounded, his open hand and heart know no stint, he died as he had lived, respected by all who knew him. [page 927] A volume could be written upon his many virtues, let it be our duty to here, as well as in other portions of this work, perpetuate his name in the annals of Alameda County.
This gentleman, whose portrait will be found in our pages, is the eldest son of the above distinguished pioneer and is the worthy son of a worthy father. He was born in Santa Clara County in the year 1840, and there remained until 1847, when he came to his father's Rancho, now Livermore Valley. Here he has resided ever since. Up till 1868 he was engaged in stock-raising but in that year he embarked in the cultivation of the cereals, an occupation he still continues. His education he received at the colleges of Benicia and Santa Clara. In Robert Livermore we have one of nature's noblemen whose word is his bond, and whose instincts place him beyond a paltry act. He is respected by every one for his own sterling worth as well as for the name he bears, while as a friend, happy is he who can claim that tie of amity. He married, November 25, 1861, Señora Teresa Bernal, and has six children, viz.: Isabella, Victoria, Charles, Katie, Nicholas and Delphina.
Was born in Holstein, Germany, January 27, 1837. At the age of fifteen he commenced a seafaring life and after six years of a "life on the ocean wave" with all its concomitant disadvantages he found himself in New York Harbor. On July 26, 1858, he shipped on board the Mary Brigham from Savannah, Georgia, bound via Cape Horn to San Francisco, California. In the Bay City Mr. Luders arrived November 11, 1858, and now trying a shore-going life he came to Alameda County and first found employment for six months in Washington Township, then with Cornelius Mohr, Eden Township, until September 15, 1861. In this year Mr. Luders rented land near Haywards and resided on it until 1865. In 1863 he rented a portion of the Dougherty Ranch, which he farmed while residing in Haywards. Finally, in the fall of 1865, he came to the place where he now lives, about two and a half miles west of Livermore, where he has been engaged in farming extensively up to the present time. In 1881 he purchased a tract of land of Wm. M. Mendenhall; a portion of the Rancho El Valle de San José, also a part of the Santa Rita Ranch, where he intends to make his permanent home in the future. He married November 21, 1872, Maria Hagemann, also a native of Holstein. The family consists of a step son named August Hagemann. A portrait of Mr. Luders will be found in this work.
Go to History of Murray Township
Go to Part 2, Surnames M-W
Return to the Other Local Databases page
[ L-AGS Home Page ]
[ About L-AGS ]
[ The Roots Tracer ]
[ Local Records ]
[ Internet Links ]
[ Students ] [ Past Events ] [ eBulletins ] [ Publications ] [ Libraries/FHCs ] [ Members' Publications ]
06 Aug 2013, 22:53:47