St. Augustine's Catholic Cemetery is located adjacent to the Pleasanton Memorial Gardens Cemetery on Sunol Blvd, in Pleasanton, California

Inquiries may be addressed to:

St. Augustine's Catholic Church
3999 Bernal Avenue
P.O. Box 817
Pleasanton, CA 94566

The church has had a pastor since 1901. The cemetery was created in 1908 during the pastorate (1906 to 1912) of Father Joseph MacAuliffe.

List of Pastors:
1901-1906....Father Thomas McNaboe
1906-1912....Father Joseph McAuliffe
1912-1918....Father Charles F. Myers
1918-1922....Father Thomas O'Malley
1922-1925....Father Patrick McGrattan
1925-1927....Father Patrick O'Neill
1927-1928....Father Philip Byrne
1928-1931....Father Timothy Galvin
1931-1933....Father J. Vildomat
1933-1935....Father Patrick J. Hennessy
1935-1941....Father Robert I. Byrne
1941-1951....Father William F. Hennessy
1951-1954....Father Raymond W. Kenny
1954-1959....Father Edward P. Higgins
1959-1965....Father Joseph M. Pier
1965-1981....Father Edmond Cloutier
1981-1984....Msgr. Michael Lucid
1985-........Father Daniel E. Danielson

There are many burials in St. Augustine's Catholic Cemetery before 1908. The history of this cemetery is sketchy, but it must have been a burial ground before the church assumed possession and consecrated it in 1908. Ralph Hitch, retired owner of Graham-Hitch Mortuary in Pleasanton, believes that there are a number of unmarked graves in this cemetery and the adjacent IOOF cemetery. Some of these are believed to be for Indians and Chinese laborers. Some are also for workers who were killed during the construction of the Hetch-Hetchy aqueduct, which traverses the Sunol Valley on its way from Yosemite to San Francisco.

Prominent local citizens for whom no gravestones are to be found are Frances Apperson, wife of Randolph Apperson, and Kathrin Smith, mother of Mrs. Apperson. According to her obituary, Frances Apperson was born November 7, 1900, died December 26, 1961, and was buried in St. Augustine's Catholic Cemetery in the same plot with her mother. The plot is in Section C.

Many early graves had wooden markers that sooner or later disappeared. The problem with wooden markers is that fires in the cemetery leave no stone unburned. Mr. Hitch recalls the time when inmates from the Santa Rita prison were brought in to clean up these cemeteries; in the process, they apparently cleaned out some of the old markers. He said that on new graves he used to put up a metal holder with a waterproof identification card. The intent was that these markers would be replaced in a short time with permanent stones. In some cases, the family never did erect gravestones. Some of these metal markers are still in place, but the cards are illegible because the life of the waterproofing has long since passed.

According to longtime residents of Sunol, that community has never had a cemetery. Burials of deceased residents of Sunol have usually been in Pleasanton or Fremont. Obituaries of Sunol residents who died in the 1880s also reveal burials in Irvington, Mission San Jose, San Francisco, Cypress Lawn, Colma, Oak Hill, San Jose, Chapel of Memories, Oakland, Napa, Fresno and San Rafael.

[ L-AGS Home Page ] [ About L-AGS ] [ The Roots Tracer ] [ Local Records ] [ Internet Links ]
[ Students ] [ Past Events ] [ eBulletins ] [ Publications ] [ Libraries/FHCs ] [ Members' Publications ]

17 Apr 2009, 15:51:08

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional