East Avenue, Livermore, California
First Published in Roots Tracer, Summer 1983.
Located just past Memory Gardens Odd Fellows Memorial Park which is at 3873 East Avenue. For additional information write: St. Michael's Cemetery, c/o 458 Maple Street, Livermore, CA 94550; they will check their records as time permits, but do not allow others to search. They have a Death Register for the past 50 years.
This tombstone survey was recorded by June Duffey, Edith Guido, Rhoda Laughy, Dixie Newbury, Sharon Geier, Margaret Fazio and Beverly Ales.
The story of St. Michael's, "People, Bricks & Timbers," relates the fact that the first church was built and blessed in 1872. However, the first priest to be assigned to the parish on a regular basis did not arrive until August 24, 1878. Settlers traveled to San Leandro and Mission San Jose for services. Another parish, St. Raymond's, had been built in Dublin and blessed in 1859, but early settlers could not make the trip there because of the marshes which made passage impossible except by boat.
"On March 4, 1879 Father Patrick Power was transferred to St. Michael's. By 1881 he had built a parish house and for $310 he purchased from a Mr. M. McCollier 10 acres out on East Avenue to establish a church cemetery."
This is the earliest date that is known for the establishment of St. Michael's cemetery.
Information from the Livermore Echo newspaper dated September 15, 1887 reported that a well was being dug in the Catholic Cemetery. The November 3, 1887 issue reported that a windmill and tank had been installed. In the March 15, 1888 issue it was reported that a line of hitching posts had been erected on East Avenue in front of the Catholic cemetery.
Return to Livermore Page Index
Return to Livermore Name Index
Return to L-AGS home page
Last modified: 22nov96.2232